This is a descriptive table of contents, that I am adding to the blog to help readers find out what is in here. Some descriptions will be brief and others will be longer, sometimes describing my motives and experiences that led me to write that particular essay. The table is organized chronologically, in the order that each item was posted, from the oldest to the most recent. Each item title is followed by the date that it was posted, in parentheses. To go directly to an item that you would like to read, just left click on the title.
Updated November 28, 2022. I finally got around to adding a bunch of descriptions of the posts. Sorry it took me so long.
- Thinking About the “Unthinkable” (December 28, 2013) This was my first post on the blog and it was written while we (our coalition of Earth protector/climate activists described in “Paths Forward..”, #35, below) were preparing for the blockades of megaload tar sands equipment in Missoula.
- The Problem With Money (January 2, 2014) Please see #12, below, “The End of Money…” for an improved, revised version of this essay.
- Equally What? (January 17, 2014, revised April 11, 2014) On the limited value of social equality as an end unto itself, in our current global predicament, when considered from an eco-centric or bio-centric perspective.
- “Rocket Stove” thermal mass heating and other sustainable, earth-friendly fire technology (April 2, 2014) My first how-to, practical information post.
- Building a Rocket Stove in Our New Greenhouse (June 4, 2014) We failed at this, btw.
- Making our first hugelkultur garden bed (November 16, 2014)
- Welcome to new “followers” of this blog (August 29, 2014)
- Updates on the Essays (September 3, 2015)
- Three Sisters Portfolio (October 1, 2015)
- Hugelkultur Update, Summer of 2015 (October 17, 2015)
- The TPP, TTIP, and TISA Could Become the Nails in the Global Coffin (November 24, 2015) My thoughts back in 2015 about those international trade partnerships that put another wall of protection around “business as usual,” the life-destroying, wetiko machine of Earth capacity overshoot.
- The End of Money: The Need for Alternative, Sustainable, Non-monetary Local Economies (January 1, 2016) This final revision of post #2, “The Problem With Money,” which focuses more on alternative economic systems and activities, is further updated by post #35, “Paths Forward: In Defense of “Utopian” Creativity”
- Hugelkultur Update, Early Summer, 2016 (June 27, 2016)
- Farm Update, July 2017, Part 1 (July 16, 2017)
- LifeGiving Farm Mid-Summer Update, Part 2 (July 20, 2017)
- What do farmers do in the Winter? (December 14, 2017)
- Sources for Healthy, Non-GMO, Heirloom, Organic and Indigenous Seeds (March 26, 2018)
- Hugelkultur bed planting, June, 2018 (June 17, 2018)
- Who is the “Baby?” (October 19, 2018)
- Buffalo, Llama, Eagle, Condor (October 22, 2019)
- My New Book (posted June 20, 2020) (This book is the only thing on this entire blog that is offered for sale for money, just so I can retrieve some of the cost for self-publishing it. I pay WordPress $99 per year to have no advertising appear anywhere on this blog. The further we can get away from using money, the better.)
- Tribal Education dept Garden Tour, August, 2019 (posted August. 2020)
- Planting Navajo Red Corn, May, 2020 (posted September 27, 2020)
- A Community of Companions (posted September 30, 2020)
- LifeGiving Farm, 2020 Tour (posted September 30, 2020)
- Picking Popcorn on a Ladder (posted October 3, 2020)
- Traditional Indigenous Cultivation of Crops is Not the Same as “Agriculture” (posted November 26, 2020) Very significant differences pointed out here, in response to a commonly-held, oversimplified conclusion on “where it all went wrong.”
- 2020: the Year in My Rearview Mirror (posted February 4, 2021) Lest we forget, a painful, but necessary account of a year that should have been a major wake-up call for our degraded species (“homo colossus”).
- De-cobbing corn and grinding chicken feed with my bicimaquina (posted February 28, 2021)
- Sorting corn kernels after de-cobbing (posted February 28, 2021)
- Preparing greenhouse beds for spring planting (posted February 28, 2021)
- Earth is Love and we are Earth (posted April 26, 2021) A message received directly from the living soil in one of my raised garden beds.
- Book Review of “Bright Green Lies” (posted June 26, 2021) Perhaps the most important book published in the last ten or so years. A much more accurate diagnosis of our global disaster than we usually see, along with some critical analysis of which alleged “remedies” cannot suffice, and why. The book also suggests some potential actual remedies, in synch with Earth’s healing and regenerating systems.
- What happened to the “Community of Companions?”: the impact of dripline irrigation on LifeGiving Farm, 2021, part 1, the greenhouse (posted August 15, 2021)
- Paths Forward: In Defense of “Utopian” Creativity (posted December 13, 2021) This essay is really about potential for regenerative actions and constructive thinking to address our actual, real predicament. It updates my thinking in past essays, as I continually expand my awareness and understanding regarding the actual predicament, based on science, especially large-scale, long-term geophysics.
- Hoeing is Not Plowing (posted February 13, 2022) This one continues the discourse presented in post #27.
- I Made a Hat! (posted August 5, 2022) A small example of what wonderful things we can do for ourselves and for life on Earth, outside of the industrial supply chain system.
- A Brief History of Healing and Regeneration at LifeGiving Farm (posted January 5, 2023) A video/pictorial overview of how working in synch with Earth’s interactive healing, regenerating elements and species restored the natural ecosystem of our five-acre land. The pictures were taken over a period of 37 years (1985-2022).
Thank you for all you do! I am learning a lot!
Thank you, Martin, for your very kind comment.